It is hard to believe that it's the beginning of February. It feels at times that time is flying by and then at other times it seems like it is barely moving.

As of January 2, I have been back at school. There were lots of emotions and questions about my return. Overall, I am enjoying being back at school with my students, families, and staff. There are even times when it feels therapeutic for me to be doing what I am doing. However, I am careful to check in with myself and Doug daily.

We are taking it one day at a time. Taking time for ourselves and each other. Looking for moments that make us smile. Holding each other when we need comfort.

Things that make me smile...

-Moxie & Bela:



-Over $7,000 has been raised to support multiple organizations in celebration of Martin's life!

-We planted lots of beautiful, blue pansies right after Martin died. It makes me smile to see them thriving and continuing to bloom.



-Autumn gave us a white peace lily before she and Myles moved to Japan. We named it Ted. We heard somewhere that if you name your plants you might take better care of them. Well, Ted the lily is doing pretty well. :-)



-Before Christmas, Doug and I went to Maggie Valley with Rachel and Scott. While we were there, we found a small, beautiful piece of wall art. It says, "There are some who bring a light so great to the world that even after they have gone, the light remains."

-words from my students:

"Ms. Jones, I heard about your baby. I don't think it is ok for babies to hurt. I am sorry."

"Ms. Jones, what was your baby's name and will you share pictures with us?"

"Ms. Jones, are you and Mr. Jones going to have more babies? You should because I think you would be a great mom."

"Did you know that you can adopt kids, Ms. Jones!"

"Ms. Jones! Your back!" (big hug) "How is your baby?" (share about Martin's death) "I am sorry, but, I am really happy you are back. I really missed you."

3 comments:

Andria said...

So, So glad for this post. Did you get the art piece, or just remember the sentiment on it's own?
We have names for our plants: Green Leaf is the peace lily from Greg's Grandfather's funeral back in 2000 or 2001; Junior is the peace lily from Papa's funeral in 2002; and then Plant Doe (because we never could decide on a name) from his Mammow's funeral. I like the significance of a name.
We love you and think of you often and hope we can all get together again soon!!

David Orsini said...

Thanks so much for posting, I am so glad to hear from you. I have youg blog on my Google Reader :). We have been thinking about you guys a lot lately. Reading what your students have been saying to you was very moving. I hope somehow it helps bring you some peace.

Unknown said...

beautiful post. hope you are well and hope i get to see you soon. i was looking at pictures of martin today and thinking about what a precious baby he was.

lots of love to you and doug.