Baby Bayley

Welcome, Samuel!

Emily gave birth to Frederic Samuel Bayley on Sunday, August 3rd at 12:32pm! Samuel arrived weighing 8lbs, 2.7oz and measuring 20 inches in height. Both mom and baby are doing well.

We got the phone calls letting us know it was beginning on Saturday night. Doug and I were over at a friend's house playing pool and hanging out, which actually worked well for us because we were half way between Athens and Atlanta. :-) And I even had my camera!

Doug and I were really excited! Doug started to pace back and forth trying to decide when we should leave for the hospital. With all of my birthing knowledge, I suggested that we find out how far along Emily was and then decide. So after a few texts, we knew it would be several hours and decided to go to bed and wake up early Sunday morning.



On Sunday, we were able to make it to the hospital before Samuel was born. Everyone was hanging out, talking, and even playing cards. Emily was in the middle of it all and every 2 minutes or so would take a deep breath as a contraction passed. There was a monitor in the room that kept track of the contractions, their intensity, and Samuel's heart rate.

We asked Emily several times if she was ready and she kept saying not yet. Finally, Ms. Emily(Daniel's mom) jokingly came into the hospital room and said she was ready to meet her grandson. And Emily surprised everyone and eagerly agreed that she was ready!

Andi and Daniel stayed in the hospital room to encourage and assist Emily in the birthing process. Everyone else stayed in the family waiting area and tried to focus on other things like the Sunday crossword puzzle, the new Ikea catologue, the beginning of the school year (Katie, Daniel's sister in law, is a first year elementary teacher), breaking news about an air guitarist who broke her toe, etc. Ms. Emily and I were getting antsy and decided to walk a bit.

During our first walk, we chatted with a few nurses and found out that Emily was still laboring and doing well, which we reported to the rest of the family when we returned to the waiting area. On our second walk, Andrew(Daniel's brother) decided to tag along too. As we reached Emily's floor, we saw Andi in the hallway with tears in her eyes and she quickly went back into the room. We knew something was up and were hoping that the door was cracked so we could be in the know. :-)

Eventually, Daniel came out into the hall and didn't know what to say. Samuel was born!!! There were hugs and tears all around. Now, the three of us had a dilema...how could we go back to the family waiting area and not tell everyone else? After a few minutes, Evelyn(Emily's mom) came up stairs and another round of hugs and tears ensued. :-) Slowly, but surely eveyone else made it up stairs and we got to visit with the new family. I was so surprised how quickly we were allowed in to see mom, dad, and baby.

After greeting Samuel, we headed out to get some much needed lunch and give the new family some time to themselves. Five Guys Burgers & Fries provided us all with some greasy nourishment (the fries were really tasty!). Emily requested that we bring back some fries since she and Daniel had given up fries for a while.

Later in the afternoon, Emily was moved from the delivery floor to the recovery floor. Most everyone had been there since Saturday night and wanted to grab a shower and a few zzzs. So, I offered for Doug and I to stay with Emily and Samuel while everyone went home. :-) One on one baby time for me!!! As Doug took a nap, I helped Emily get cool and comfortable (it was quite warm in the new room). Emily fed Samuel and then I got to hold him while Emily napped. I stayed awake reading the new born material provided by the hospital as Emily, Doug, and Samuel slept. Daniel returned refreshed and bringing Emily's body pillow and clothes (they were in the dryer Saturday night as Emily's water broke).

In celebration of Samuel's birthday and as a thank you to our friend who watched Moxie and Bela, the three of us went out to eat at The Bone Fish Grill. Wow, what a treat! Delicious seafood, great company, and much to celebrate! What a weekend!?!



1 comment:

Brett Fuller said...

Get this-- over the past week or so, I've seen a white stork perched on the pipe in the lake. No joke! Wouldn't it be cool if that was the Bayleys' stork!? And also, I really hope that's the Bayleys' stork.